Tuesday, February 15, 2011

february twelfth is full of farewells


1.

what, have i done. 
my suitcases too heavy to pick up with two hands 
but 
i say quietly
this is everything i have.

i'm not afraid, but i cannot see what's coming.
write she said. don't forget to write.

2.

my best friend looks nothing like me
but she is my best friend.
i open a card she has placed in an ivory envelope
and suddenly my face is wet, my nose, the ink filled paper.

across the airport, an older korean woman watches me
the yellow beneath her eyes reddening
im glaring at her, i feel the fangs beneath my upper lip emerge 
sharp.


3.

i push the words down with spoonfuls of soup 
biting into jalapeno skin, crisp to forget what i'm doing here

well, i say, throwing my cigarette to the ground. 
i want this to be over
i want to be alone on that plane
an ocean between us
to forget.

he looks at me, or my right ear
my hand gathering the black around me, cold.


why so dramatic he laughs
my fingers grasping 
his elbow, my mouth settling for his dimple. 

he forgets what it's like to know me 
to love me, or he would.

i turn without looking back
willing him to miss me, to want me like 
two bodies in a quiet room of books.

4.

joel says goodbye
tears streaming down his face
his lower lip catching the time between us. 
i'm a pint of whiskey in, squinting into his sadness
we touch hearts and whisper the word special
so quietly, neither of us will forget.

5.

two forks, nachos, two corn quesadillas and a side of rice on the bed
beth and i eat lying down spinning crying. 
we hold hands and try to sleep.




2 comments:

  1. john, you're the sweetest! also, you're my only comments, so i completely rely on them for boosting morale. thanks! photos to come when life here gets more interesting. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will comment more :) i'm sorry my letter made you cry in public. i wrote it at work and also sat with tears streaming for give or take an hour pushing around the thoughts of how you have changed my life. probably should have written it in a more private place, but you know how we procrastinate.

    #3 makes me wanna choke someone ;-)

    i miss you and love you tons. xoxoxo don't forget to write.

    ReplyDelete